Friday, October 31, 2008

El Dia de los Muertos


We love decorating for Halloween. Doug made this at the pottery place this summer. When I was in Texas, I was on the hunt for some El Dia de los Muertos decorations, masks or ornaments. I couldn't find anything that was quite what I wanted. I was hunting for something that wasn't scary or evilish (of course that is not what the day is all about) yet something that was a good cultural representation of the holiday. I wanted happy skeletons. The story of my life. I want something but can't quite find that perfect item. Nothing else will do.

I did find bride and groom skeletons. Ugg! There is something not right about dead brides and grooms. Doug says love is forever. I don't think that's what it says. I think that I will have to see if the pottery shop has non pirate skulls and skull ornaments and paint my own decorations.

Hope your Day of the Dead was a celebratory one. We enjoyed Halloween and the days that followed. We took some time to remember our loved ones that have left this world and had some time for fun.

The youngest boy gave out candy. The oldest ate candy. The girl went trick or treating. This year she was a gypsy completing the look with a tambourine. She and the neighbor girl were both gypsies. We met up with the neighbor and her mom at the second house we visited. We spent the night walking and talking with them. I have to say I enjoyed walking with another adult. As the girls would ring the doorbell my daughter would shake her tambourine. Many a neighbor said, "I was wondering what that sound was." I think they could hear her throughout the neighborhood. Her pumpkin was so full of candy that it was overflowing. Candy was falling onto the street. I had to tote the bag home.

We couldn't have asked for better weather. I think the temperature was in the 60's and the sky was filled with stars. This is the first time in years that anyone in our family has not had to cover up or wear layers under their costume. Even in Georgia we had many cold Halloween nights. It was amazing considering that Monday night the girl was playing in the backyard and spied snow flurries. Yes, snow flurries on October 27th. The earliest that I have seen snow here.

No comments: