Thursday, June 21, 2007

Jury Duty

As you know Doug's father passed away on June 6th. Doug traveled to WA that Friday to be with his family. It was good for him to be with his brother and sisters. They had a chance to talk and reminisce. They will all hopefully get together again at our nephew Sam's wedding later this summer.

Before Doug left I made a schedule of all the things the kids were doing and the basic things that needed to get done that week regarding the house and work. Fortunately my last professional development day had been June 6th. I was a week into an online course that I am teaching this summer. We made a list. Checked it twice and off Doug went. Late Saturday night it dawned on me that I had jury duty the week of June 11th. Jury duty that had already been deferred from December 06. There goes the list and being able to chauffeur the kids to their programs and work. Luckily the kids are old enough to stay home by themselves and even cook for themselves. One of my friends agreed to be a contact person for the kids in case of an emergency.

The week went remarkably well. One child missed a dance class, and one had to walk home from summer school twice and one had to get a ride to work. I of course was a basket case worrying about the chances of getting to places on time and picked-up with the uncertainty of serving on a jury. I mostly sat around Monday and Wednesday. I was never selected to serve on a jury. Not necessarily a bad thing, but quite boring.

Anyway Doug's back home. Home improvements, my course, and projects are back on schedule. Hopefully I'm off the jury duty list for the next five to ten years.

No comments: